The car which the Metro police officers were driving when they were shot at. An 18-year-old man has been charged with attempted murder after a Metro police constable was shot in Hanover Park last Thursday, January 12.The shooting unfolded at 9.20am when the 40-year-old constable and his partner, a 41-year-old sergeant, were driving in Athwood Road, Hanover Park, after having received a complaint about a shooting. According to Lieutenant Lance Goliath, spokesman for Philippi police station, the suspect ran away when the officers approached him in their vehicle. They gave chase and when the suspect opened fire, the officers got out of the car and returned fire. During the shoot-out the 40-year-old constable was wounded in his stomach and left hand and was rushed to Melomed Hospital in Gatesville. He is in a stable condition.The sergeant was slightly injured on his left hand and was treated on the scene. The windscreen of the car in which the Metro police officers had been travelling, had also been hit by a bullet.According to Lieutenant Goliath, at 9.45pm on the same evening, the 18-year-old arrived at Philippi police station with his lawyer and handed himself over to the police. He was detained and appeared in the Athlone Magistrate’s Court on Monday January 16. JP Smith, mayoral committee member for safety and security, said attacks on staff would not be tolerated. “I commend everyone involved in the search for this suspect who was effectively forced to come forward as a result of sustained pressure. Now we must allow the law to take its course and allow police and the National Prosecuting Authority NPA to finalise the case and secure a conviction,” he said. Shortly after the incident, police launched an integrated crime prevention operation in order to stabilise the area.Brigadier Mmagauta Letsoalo, deputy cluster commander of the Mitchell’s Plain police cluster, which includes Athlone, Lansdowne, Philippi, Grassy Park, Steenberg, Strandfontein, Lentegeur, and Mitchell’s Plain police stations, said police would maintain a zero tolerance approach towards criminals. He urged the residents of Hanover Park to come forward with information on crime and the perpetrators thereof. “Police have a reward system whereby good money is being rewarded for positive information supplied to police about crime which results in the successful arrest and prosecution of criminals,” he said.
Judge: Dylann Roof competent to stand trial in church shooting Do you see a typo or an error? Let us know. Published: November 25, 2016 9:50 AM EST Updated: November 25, 2016 9:55 AM EST SHARE COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) – A judge has ruled that Dylann Roof is competent to stand trial for the killing of nine black worshippers at a South Carolina church.Judge Richard Gergel made the ruling Friday after a two-day hearing behind closed doors earlier this week. The hearing was needed after Roof’s attorneys questioned earlier this month whether he could help them on the eve of jury selection in his death penalty trial.Gergel says jury selection will begin Monday.Gergel sealed his reasons for finding Roof competent, saying that information could keep him from having a fair trial.The 22-year-old white man is charged in federal court with hate crime, obstruction of religion and other counts for the deadly June 2015 attack at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston. Related Articles:
The financial muscle of the litigation funding market today became apparent as one of its biggest operators posted annual profits beyond £100m for the first time.Burford Capital announced to the London Stock Exchange that operating profit increased for the 2016 calendar year by 61% to £102m.Income increased in the same period by 59% to a record £135m.Burford, which works with law firms from offices in London, New York and Chicago, said the demand for capital from the legal sector was reflected in record new litigation finance investment commitments.The company now has around £311m staked in litigation across the world, 83% more than at the end of 2015.Burford noted that the acquisition of fellow investor, Chicago-based Gerchen Keller Capital, in December has added around £1bn of new assets and enable greater scale and income diversification.Christopher Bogart, chief executive of Burford, said: ‘The acquisition of Gerchen Keller Capital capped a strong year and positioned Burford for the future, with increased scale and the ability to source both public and private capital as our business continues to grow and expand. With an 80-plus strong team, including 40 experienced lawyers, and the largest capital base in the business, we are committed to serving clients around the world as the premier provider of capital and risk solutions to the legal sector.’The company’s share price rose by 2.4% to 752.5p in the hour after the results were announced, a trebling of value in a year. The annual dividend increased by 14.4% in US dollar terms and by 38.3% in sterling.Meanwhile, another litigation funder has become the first of its kind to open operations in Germany.Therium Group Holdings, which has almost £250m committed to litigation around the world, has added a Dusseldorf office after identifying a ‘substantial’ market for litigation funding in the country.This is attributed to the increasing number of corporate and commercial legal disputes within a regulatory environment that has become more complex in recent years.Neil Purslow, chief investment officer, said: ‘We have been active in Germany for some time but the increasing demand for our expertise from both lawyers and claimants across financial services and other areas make this a natural point to open an office in the country.’
Symbol of law and justice, law and justice concept, focus on the scales By Attorney Wolde RoseA strong area of debate in the legal fraternity, more so in recent years, is that of charging and trying juveniles, usually under age-16 as adults for serious, violent crimes, like murder.Contrary to what some members of the public believe, there is no law that states someone under 16 who commit murder should be treated with more leniency by the courts, compared to an older accused.Under 16 charged with murder tried as adultsIn fact, Florida and most other states allow youth under 16 charged with murder to be tried as adults. However, youth convicts do not generally receive the death penalty. This results from an earlier U. S. Supreme Court ruling that stipulates capital punishment is unconstitutional for anyone who hasn’t reached their 16th birthday. However, some states do impose the death penalty for convicts 16 years old and over.Prosecutors recommendationMainly, it‘s left to the recommendation of a prosecutor, and a judge’s decision judge whether or not to try an under-16 youth as an adult on a murder charge. The ultimate decision is subjective and largely results from the ability of the defense attorney to draw upon the sympathies of the court. It also depends on the particular circumstances of a case to plead to the court that the youth client be tried as a juvenile, not an adult.The subjective nature of the ultimate decision can, and often leads, to controversy. This is so especially when the issue of race and social class is believed to have been taken into consideration to, or not, try a youth convict as an adult.Fully cognizant of actionA stance taken by most prosecutors is that if someone under 16, was in his/her right mind, not mentally challenged, deliberately engaged in action that resulted in the death of another human, he/she was fully cognizant of his/her actions, acted similar to an adult, should be tried and face punishment as an adult. In other words, prosecutors, and some judges believe it’s the crime committed, not the age of the accused that’s the primary factor in the case.It’s not unusual for defense attorneys to experience severe stress in representing a youth charged for murder. Although American law determines one is innocent until proven guilty, it’s the responsibility of the justice system to hold people who break the law responsible for their actions.Serves as deterrent to further crime?There’s also a perception, among some prosecutors that trying youth as adults and imposing harsh sentences serves as a deterrent against incidences of youth crime. However, there’s no empirical evidence that trying youth as adults is deterring youth crimes.On the other hand, some members of the legal fraternity and the public, believe because a youth may have acted out of context in committing a crime, he/she should be given a chance for rehabilitation, rather than subjecting him/her to long years in adult prison. There’s a strong argument that a youth who serves time in juvenile prison, is likely to turn around his life, and become a law-abiding adult when is released from, compared to a youth who was sentenced to an adult facility.
LocalNews DAIC to host AGM by: – January 28, 2014 Share Sharing is caring! Tweet 74 Views no discussions Share Share Lilian Piper is the current President of the Dominica Association of Industry and Commerce (file photo)The Dominica Association of Industry and Commerce (DAIC) will, on February 6, 2014 elect a president when it hosts its annual general meeting (AGM) at the Fort Young Hotel in Roseau.The meeting, which will take two formats; closed and open sessions, will commence at 4:30pm and 6:15pm respectively.During the closed session of the AGM, outgoing president Lilian Piper will present her message to members and the treasurer, Edmund Baksh will present the Association’s financial report for 2013. Additionally, nominations will be received and members will elect a president, vice-president and three (3) directors. The open session of the AGM will commence with the recognition of a private sector pillar, Phillip Nassief, a presentation by guest speakers, the president and vice president of BVI Investment Club, Meade Malone and Margaret Penn.The AGM will culminate with a cocktail reception. All members of the Association should make an extra effort to attend and note that they must be in good financial standing to vote. Persons interested in attending should call the DAIC Office at 767-449-1962.Dominica Vibes News
At Satellite 2020 this week, designer of satellite communications and RF equipment, ETL Systems has introduced its Hawk Matrix to the MENA (Middle East, North Africa, Afghanistan, and Pakistan) and NAM (US and Canada) regions. The ultra-compact Hawk Matrix is suited for RF signal routing in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) gateways, as well as small High Throughput Satellite (HTS) ground stations and deployable VSAT terminals.The new dual 8 x 8 matrix is an addition to ETL’s growing range of 36 L-band Matrices which is more than double the range of its nearest competitor. The design of the Hawk 1U matrix supports mission-critical communication applications with plug and go technology from field-replaceable matrix modules and hot-swap CPU and dual redundant power supply units.The new Hawk provides flexible routing solutions with configurable capacity and uplink or downlink matrix module options. It can be configured with either dual 8×8 matrix modules or a single 16×8 or 8×16 matrix module. It is a cost-effective solution, as one module can be combined for uplink transmit signals and the other for downlink receive signals. The 1U matrix can also be configured with two modules combining or distributing.Consumer demand for high-quality data is at an all-time high. Satellite is a hugely popular communications method within the MENA region, with the broadcast industry relying heavily on the technology to deliver high-quality services. Additionally, with its promise of low-latency and low-cost services, the Company is expecting to see LEO having a significant impact on the NAM region.ETL Systems also introduced its new rack-mounted frequency converter, the Falcon, to the NAM and MENA regions at Satellite 2020. The Falcon offers multiple module configurations, with a range of frequency options, as well as agile or block up-converters and down-converters. The 1U chassis has capacity for up to five conversion modules, which are field serviceable and replaceable. Resilience is also provided from hot-swap dual redundant power supplies and a field-replaceable CPU. A 10 MHz reference source is provided for internal/external signals. 2+1 and 1+1 redundancy configurations are also available within the chassis.ETL Systems is co-exhibiting with Atlantic Microwave at stand 1043 at Satellite 2020 from March 10 to 12. ETL will be co-hosting a networking event at its stand with the Satcoms Innovation Group on Wednesday, March 11. ETL Systems will also be exhibiting at stand C3-205 at CABSAT 2020 from March 31 to April 2.
Thursday the NFL laid yet another move on a current team, as the San Diego Chargers ended a 56-year relationship with the city of San Diego, taking their team to Los Angeles to be now the Los Angeles Chargers.“For more than a decade, the San Diego Chargers have worked diligently toward finding a local stadium solution, which all sides agreed was required,” NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said in a statement Thursday.“The Chargers worked tirelessly this past year with local officials and community leaders on a ballot initiative that fell short on election day. That work — and the years of effort that preceded it — reflects our strongly held belief we always should do everything we can to keep a franchise in its community. That’s why we have a deliberate and thoughtful process for making these decisions.What does that mean for the Browns if anything? The Brown and Orange have the Chargers on their schedule in 2017, but now instead of playing in San Diego, the team will make the trip to Los Angeles.The Chargers and Browns will play in front of probably one of the smallest NFL crowds next season, as the Bolts will play their home games the next two seasons at the 30,000-seat StubHub Center in Carson, California.The game against Los Angeles is the longest trip the Browns will make in 2017. Here’s the entire slate in terms of who the Browns will play next season. HomeBengalsRavensSteelersVikings*PackersTitansJaguarsJetsAwayBengalsRavensSteelersBearsLionsColtsTexansChargers Related TopicsBrownsLos Angeles Chargers Matt Loede Matt Loede has been a part of the Cleveland Sports Media for over 21 years, with experience covering Major League Baseball, National Basketball Association, the National Football League and even high school and college events. He has been a part of the Cleveland Indians coverage since the opening of Jacobs/Progressive Field in 1994, and spent two and a half years covering the team for 92.3 The Fan, and covers them daily for Associated Press Radio. You can follow Matt on Twitter HERE.
BIRMINGHAM, Ala. – West Florida newcomer Toni Brewer was named the Gulf South Conference Freshman of the Week for the second consecutive week after scoring 26 points and 22 rebounds in two conference road games last week.The Argonaut recorded a double-double with 10 points and 13 rebounds at Alabama Huntsville Dec. 4 and scored 16 points with nine rebounds at North Alabama Dec. 6.Brewer (Huntsville, Ala./Sparkman HS) earned the FOW award Dec. 2 after scoring 44 points with 31 rebounds in three games Nov. 25-29.The Argos host Shorter and Lee at the UWF Field House Dec. 11 at 5 p.m. and Dec. 13 at 2 p.m., respectively.For information on all UWF athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com. #ARGOS#Print Friendly Version
Juventus forward, Cristiano Ronaldo, has admitted he paid his rape accuser Kathryn Mayorga the sum of $375,000 to settle the claim in 2010, TMZ reports.The American model claimed Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room in 2009, but Ronaldo strongly denies the claims.Las Vegas authorities announced last month, that there was not enough evidence to bring criminal charges against the footballer.Mayorga is pressing ahead with a civil case, but Ronaldo’s lawyers want to have it thrown out.According to them, the claim was already settled with a payoff and confidentiality agreement in 2010.In newly filed court documents, Ronaldo’s camp are said to acknowledge the $375,000 figure. They insist the payment was not an admission of guilt, but merely an effort to keep the story from public attention.Mayorga’s lawyers now want the agreement thrown out.
IN FIVE EASY PIECES WITH TAKE 5 Although professional sumo exhibitions have been held in many countries, including China in 1973, this will be the first in South Korea, officials said.Also in sumo news:Ozeki Tochiazuma, currently out of action with a shoulder injury, said Wednesday he will skip the Spring Grand Sumo Tournament in Osaka next month and bid to make a comeback in May.“I’ll rest in March and aim for May,” said Tochiazuma, who pulled out of the New Year meet last month with a dislocated left shoulder after losing all of his first five bouts to rank-and-filers. Professional sumo wrestlers will hold a two-day exhibition tournament in South Korea this summer, officials said Wednesday, marking the first time Japan’s national sport has been performed in that country.The tournament is to be held June 14-15 in Seoul, according to Makoto Tsuchida of the Education Ministry, which is backing the event along with the Japan Sumo Association. GET THE BEST OF THE JAPAN TIMES